Saving your report and publishing it are two different things. Saving will save a copy of the report definition file locally. Publishing will copy and deploy the file to the Reporting Services server where they will be available for rendering. After you publish, open the Reporting Services Report Manager (Usually http://<MyReportServer>/Reports). You will see your report with other published reports. From the Report Manager you change Reporting Services report settings (security, etc.).
To save your report to disk:
- From the OfficeWriter Designer toolbar select Save As.
- Navigate to a local folder where you will store the template report file. This will be where you store your work file in case you want to edit it later, not a location on the Reporting Services server.
- Save the template as an RDL file.
To publish your report to Reporting Services:
- From the OfficeWriter Designer, select Publish. The Publish Report dialog will open.
- In the Domain or Server URL field, enter the path to your Reporting Services server (for example http://MyReports/ReportServer).
- Click Refresh. OfficeWriter will display the folders available on the server.
- Navigate to the destination folder for your report.
- In the Report Name field (at the bottom of the Publish Report dialog), enter a name for your report.
- Optional: Click Data Source Credentials to specify how the report will link to the data. You may also do this from the Reporting Services Report Manager after you publish your report. See the Reporting Services documentation for the meaning of the different data source credentials options.
- Click Ok. If your report was already published on the server, you will be asked to overwrite it. When the report is published, you will receive a message box telling you that publishing was successful.
You are now ready to view your report.