- Upgrading to a New Version of WordWriter
- Automatic Installation
- Installing WordWriter at the Application Level
- Installing WordWriter in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC)
- Using WordWriter with Windows 2003
- ASP Installation
If you are upgrading to a new version of WordWriter before installing the new version, remove the old version.
To run the automatic installation, double-click OfficeWriter-Installer-4.x.x.exe and follow the instructions. By default, the automatic installation will save WordWriter in the directory C:\Program Files\SoftArtisans\OfficeWriter. You can select a different directory during the installation process.
WordWriter includes the .Net assembly SoftArtisans.OfficeWriter.WordWriter.dll
The .Net assembly is installed in:
This is the bin directory for WordWriters samples.
During the automatic installation process you will be asked to enter the WordWriter license key that you received with your order confirmation. To see all OfficeWriter license keys installed in the registry, or to add or remove a key (for example, when upgrading) run LicenseManager.exe (included with WordWriter).
There is one installer for OfficeWriter. Depending on which license key is entered during installation (or updated later with the license utility), different functionality will be unlocked for WordWriter. For information on the different WordWriter versions, see WordWriter Editions.
If you leave the key field blank during installation you will get WordWriterFree, an evaluation edition of WordWriter. If you enter a key for an evaluation edition, you will get an evaluation edition of WordWriterEE.
When you install WordWriter, you will also be given the option to install ExcelWriter. If your license key is only for WordWriter, and you choose to install ExcelWriter as well, a free limited version of ExcelWriter will be installed. If you ordered an evaluation or full version of the whole OfficeWriter suite, you will receive one OfficeWriter key which will unlock both products.
When you update a license key, IIS must be reset before the new license will take effect.
If you removed the SoftArtisans.OfficeWriter.WordWriter.dll from the GAC, it will only be available to the WordWriter samples. To make WordWriter available to another ASP.NET application, place the assembly in the bin directory at the top level of the application:
- At the top level of your application, create a directory called bin.
- Copy SoftArtisans.OfficeWriter.WordWriter.dll from OfficeWriter\bin\dotnet20 to your application's bin directory.
To install SoftArtisans.OfficeWriter.WordWriter.dll in the GAC:
- Open a command prompt window and move to the directory OfficeWriter\bin\dotnet20.
- Enter gacutil /i SoftArtisans.OfficeWriter.WordWriter.dll.
- Open the file machine.config (in [Windows directory]\Microsoft.NET\Framework[.NET version directory]\CONFIG).
- Add the following line to the assemblies node of machine.config:
Create a text file containing the following lines, and save it as web.config. Save web.config at the top level of your application.
The version attribute of the add assembly node must correspond exactly to the version of the assembly (dll file) added to the GAC. If you add a new version of WordWriter to the GAC using the gacutil command, update the dll versionattributes in machine.config. To get the exact version of the dll file, right-click the dll and select the Properties tab.
To use WordWriter on Windows 2003, you must enable the following Web Service extensions in IIS:
- Active Server Pages
To enable these extensions:
- Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Open local computer.
- Select Web Service Extensions.
- From the list of Web Service Extensions, select Active Server Pages.
- Click the Allow button.
- From the list of Web Service Extensions, select ASP.NET.
- Click the Allow button.